Sunday, July 25, 2010

Secrets

I fished this weekend, but I can't say where.
Friday we fished a creek (we'll call it "Bighorn Creek") that has big brown trout, and is, with a few exceptions, unknown. If it were known, it'd get hammered cuz there are really big browns in it (in the past week, clay and brady caught five over 20 inches). No pics of the fish - they only play when they're sure their mug won't be posted on some jackass-fisherman's blog.

Saturday I fished a lake near town that gets very little pressure and has many and big cutthroats ("Bighorn Lake"). These fish are eager, plentiful and there are a couple huge ones that cruise. They have the brightest red slashes of any cutthroat I've ever seen - I kept thinking they were bleeding but it was just their vibrant slashes. Sorry for the lousy picture - they were slippery bitches.

This weekend I'm camping around a section of the state I've never fished. I plan on fishing the West Bighorn River, Big Bighorn Creek, and the East Fork of the North Fork of the South Fork of the Bighorn. And maybe Bighorn's Pond. Photos to follow. I won't always be this stingy about locations, but for now....
Formerly, I didn't really believe in secrets. I was happy to share what I knew, and didn't really think it'd make a difference. But that was before I knew of some truly unbelievable fisheries. You be shocked too, if you fished these special places. But you'll have to find them on your own.

5 comments:

Will Jordan said...

As much as I'd love to know the location of "Bighorn Creek" I've got to thank you for not giving it away. Stories like this fuel my motivation to explore new water. In my mind it's that much sweeter to discover gems like this, rather than being spoon fed their locations. Of course I wouldn't object to a helpful hint or two...

Josh Bergan said...

It's east of the Pacific Ocean, but west of the Atlantic. North of Argentina, south of Canada. It's got water, bugs and fish in it. Can't miss it.

Will Jordan said...

Well that narrows it down. You're being awfully secretive...it must be good! Whether I ever stumble across it or not I'll never really know, but I'll enjoy the process of searching.

Bigerrfish said...

I have a guess from colorado... does it have 3 circles? just a guess.

Josh Bergan said...

I think I know what you're referring to - no circles.