Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Loose-lipped LTL drivers

Whoa. I just got an education in some local water from our Reddaway driver, who has lived in the Gallatin Valley for his whole life. Note to self - don't mention names when talking fishing with delivery drivers. Three or four lakes in the Tobacco Roots, some tributaries to the Gallatin to hit in the fall, a hard-to-get-to lake in the Crazy Mountains with what his hands were claiming were 25-inchers, but his mouth called 16- to 18-inchers... I listened with wide ears, like a dog who thought he heard someone say "treat".
I have no plans to go immediately exploit any of these fisheries, but I will add them to my list of rainy-day spots. Heck they might all be busts, as I'm not sure exactly how "fishy" this guy was. But he was excited about them, and they'd be adventures regardless.
The lesson: Keep your ears to the ground - you never know when you'll hear something worth hearing.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That's Lesson #2: "Keep your ears to the ground - you never know when you'll hear something worth hearing." You forgot Lesson #1: "keep your lips sealed, you never know who might be listening." otherwise known as the 'loose lips, sink ships' corollary. ;-) mike

Josh Bergan said...

You are correct, sir. I overlooked that.