Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day caddis

For a few brief hours on Friday, the Mother's Day caddis hatch was on, on the Yellowstone River. It wasn't like it can get, but there were waves of the little brown bug blowing off the river when I arrived at the Old Boulder Road access. The river was a pale green and slightly high, but there was a couple feet of visibility and fish were eating in the foam - the same places they rise year round.
I had brought both my 5 weight and my new 8-weight switch rod, just to play with. For some reason, I decided to leave the 5 weight with the floating line in the truck and swing streamers and emergers with the switcher and sink-tip - a regrettable decision. I hooked a few, but didn't land any. It could've been good, but for my questionable choice.
Anyhow, the river's about doubled since Friday, and I think it's safe to say it'll be awhile. But for a few brief hours in 2011, the Mother's Day caddis hatch was on on the Yellowstone.

No comments: