Monday, October 1, 2012

Fall color

Driving across northern Minnesota on highways 200 and 34, I was confounded by  the leaves. We don't get that color in Montana - maybe some bright yellows juxtaposed against the conifers, but nothing like the reds, oranges and yellows of Minnesota. It was a great start to a great trip to help an old friend celebrate his new life...
In between reunions, I had the chance to fish up the North Shore - something I'd never done when I was there in college. My research told me there should be pink salmon in the rivers, as did the the gentleman at the fly shop off East Superior Street. I planned to bead (HEY! - I only had one day and since they don't really eat anyway....) but I was told that's illegal in Minnesota (good for Minnesota) so I was forced to work with what I had. Some Glo-bugs and various other offerings....
Sho 'nuff, there were about 30 to 35 pink salmon in every other hole or so. They're small - a pound to pound and a half - but still cool. So I threw my double Glo-bug rig through the hole. And again. And again. And again. And again....Nothing. So I worked upstream, and finally, one small pinker slashed at my Egg-sucking Leech and I got one! Probably about 15 inches, but nonetheless... Slept well at Tettegouche State Park after a Jimmy's Pizza....
The following morning I got two more on a stripped General Practitioner - there was no hatch matching - and I was happy. Breakfast at Betty's Pies and I was on my way...
Pinks, reds, oranges, yellows and the tannin-stained water in Lake Superior tributaries light up fall in northern Minnesota like few other things. Just wait until you see the northern lights from Duluth...

A few more:








2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photography! Wow! Makes me want to visit Minnesota... and figure out my new DSLR! =)

Josh Bergan said...

Thanks, Kim. Minnesota is a great place - especially the northern half... Enjoy your new camera!